Friday 08 January 2021
There’s so much to shout about the Northern Capital, Manchester, so we’ve condensed some of the most impressive stats, facts and exciting regeneration plans into easy-to-read fast facts.
- Greater Manchester Region’s expected GVA to raise by 2030 is £23billion.
- 73 million people currently live in Greater Manchester, making it UK’s fastest growing economy.
- 65/100 of the FTSE companies have a presence in Manchester.
- Two of the largest shopping centres in the UK are located in Manchester – The Trafford Centre and Arndale Centre.
- Manchester has the largest student population in Europe with five universities and over 100,000 students.
- The opportunities for career progression are fantastic with the largest gain in graduates of all UK cities outside of London.
- Home to two world-renowned football clubs – Manchester United & Manchester City.
- The most connected city centres in the North with 6 railway stations.
- Manchester airport is the UK’s third busiest airport with London Heathrow and London Gatwick beating it to the top.
- The £650m 200-acre business hub for media, digital and creative, Media City, has plans for further expansion. The site is currently home to the BBC, ITV, Kelloggs, Ericsson and the University of Salford with 7,000 employees in total.
- The planned HS2 will connect Manchester to the capital and South of England in just one hour, cutting the current travel time in half.
- A £1 billion expansion of Manchester Airport Terminal 2 is completing in 2024, allowing the number of passengers to almost double from what is now, to a whopping 50 million passengers a year.
- £800 million NOMA project in the north of the city is set to transform nearly 4 million sq.ft into an amazing office, retail and leisure space.
- £1 billion has been allocated to regenerate the Ancoats and New Islington areas of Manchester.
- Manchester’s first city-centre public park, Manchester Mayfield, will turn the area into a ‘world-class urban neighborhood’ that will house both residents and small-to-medium scale independent start-ups.