ERE Lettings | Tenant FAQs

Please find below some of our frequently asked questions, or call us for more information.

ERE Property require a guarantor on all tenancies. This is someone who has agreed to cover your rent if you cannot pay it. In some cases, the rent guarantor also agrees to cover damages to the property.

More often than not your property will be furnished, however please check your contract provided by our lettings agency to see what is included.

Most tenancy agreements will be offered on either a 6 or 12-month fixed term. As the tenancy term comes to an end, ERE Property will initiate contact with yourself, the Tenant, to ensure that their instructions are taken within plenty of time.

The Tenant will be required to give at least one FULL months’ notice (in line with their payment dates). A Tenant cannot bring their tenancy to an end during a fixed term (unless by mutual negotiation with ERE/you Landlord).

At the end of your fixed term tenancy you can request to extend your agreement or end it. This must be done at least one FULL month before the end of your fixed term. If this isn’t then it may be that you get charged another month. If the Landlord would like you to move out of the property at the end of the fixed term, they must give you 2 months full notice.

A deposit will have been taken for safekeeping at the commencement of the Tenancy which is filed with the “My Deposits” Scheme. The Landlord will be entitled to request a deduction from the deposit for any dilapidations which are the Tenant’s responsibility. Deposits are now covered by legislation called ‘Tenancy Deposit Protection’.


This means that no Agent or Landlord is able to make deductions from deposit money without the Tenant’s consent. It also means that if the Tenant and the Landlord cannot agree on a specific deduction you can refer the matter to a third party who will review the case independently. It is always advisable to try to come to an agreement regarding any deductions, as disputes may delay the length of time before you receive these disputed monies. ERE will provide you with the details of the Tenancy Deposit Protection provider which they use should you request or need these.

Ensuring that all furniture, which has been provided as part of the Tenancy, complies with The Furniture and Furnishings (Fire) (Safety) Regulations 1988.


Ensuring that all gas appliances, which have been provided as part of the Tenancy, comply with Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998.


Ensuring that all electrical appliances, which have been provided as part of the Tenancy, comply with Electrical Equipment (Safety) Regulations 1994, and with the Plugs and Sockets etc (Safety) Regulations 1994.


Maintaining the heating and hot water, sanitary appliances, installation of gas, electric and water at the property which will be repaired as necessary throughout the Tenancy, unless the fault has been caused by the neglect or misuse of the Tenants, in which case they will be responsible.

The safety and keeping of the structure of the building including drains, gutters and down pipes as well as all communal areas used by all tenants within the building are the responsibility of the block manager.

It is your responsibility as a Tenant to pay the council tax and bills whilst your tenancy is ongoing.

At the beginning of your tenancy we will ask you to fill out a standing order mandate so that your rent comes out of your chosen bank account automatically. This will be setup for a couple of days prior to your actual rental due date so that weekends and bank holidays don’t result in rent being received late, as doing so may resort in negative references being provided to any future landlord or mortgage provider.

Please talk to us. On most occasions we will be able to approach your landlord and come to an agreement for any arrears to be spread out over future payments, this will however be at the landlords discretion and is not mandatory for them to agree to do so. Any arrears that build up will need to be recovered before any tenancy ends, we may look to utilise the deposit or contact guarantors if they remain outstanding.

First we suggest that you try to sort the problem out between yourselves, it might be that they don’t realise that what they’re doing is a problem to you, and a friendly word will sort itself out. If you haven’t been able to come to a solution you can escalate this to your block manager and then if needed, to higher authority such as the police.

Where a routine repair is required the Tenant must report a fault to us by logging on to our website and completing a maintenance request form. If there is an emergency at night or over the weekend, you will be directed to call the out of hours Emergency Number.

Can’t find an answer to your question? Submit an enquiry.

Looks good!
Invalid First Name
Looks good!
Invalid Last Name
Looks good!
Invalid Email Address
Looks good!
Invalid Phone Number
Looks good!
Invalid Enquiry